Curbside Service Operations
Tool reservations continue and we have integrated the inventory system to our website which will assist in viewing our help videos while accessing your account in the myTurn system. The new location and loading zone have also allowed us to expand our schedule for you to get tools and complete projects!
May continued to be a busy month of providing tools for spring projects!
To help keep our curbside service running safely and on schedule make sure to read notes on email confirmations for your specific loan information and be on time for your parking space appointments. A few reminders about our curbside service and tool reservations:
- Last-minute reservations and edits – If you are reserving tools within two hours of your desired pick up time and/or during curbside service hours, please call ahead for availability, we may need to reschedule your pick up appointment to accommodate the requests.
- Masks – Our mask policy remains in effect. We continue to ask members to wear masks during tool pick ups and drop offs.
- Unclaimed tools – We understand schedules continue to be unpredictable at times and will hold unclaimed reservations until Saturday each week. You will receive an email if tools are not picked up with next available times. Any unclaimed tool reservations will be canceled weekly at the end of service each Saturday at 1:00 pm.
How does it work, what are the new procedures?
- Make a pick up appointment during our curbside hours at a time that works for you. You may also make your drop off appointment at this time.
- Login to your account and reserve tools starting on the date of your pick up appointment.
- Arrive at the loading zone spot during your appointment time and our staff and volunteers will help you load items into your vehicle
- We will send a loan reminder two days before the tools are due back with a link to make your drop off appointment.
- TTL Loading Zone Curbside Schedule
- Wednesdays 4-7pm
- Thursdays 4-6pm (Due to the TPL building schedule, we will not serve late arrivals after 5:45pm)
- Fridays 10am-1pm and 4-6pm (Due to the TPL building schedule, we will not serve late arrivals after 5:45pm)
- Saturdays 10am-1pm
- Virtual Open Hours on Zoom continue on Wednesdays, from 5-7pm
- Look for the Zoom link to the Virtual Open Hours posted each Wednesday promptly at 5pm on our website.
- Virtual Open Hours are our office hours to chat in real-time to ask questions about membership and reserving tools. If you would like help with tool reservations or have questions about membership or projects, TTL Board, Staff, and Volunteers will be online to help. Don’t use Zoom? You can also call during this time to get help.
Frequently Asked Questions about new operations from the Main Branch TPL location
- The TTL shop space will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- We understand schedules continue to be a bit unpredictable and we have extended our general tool loans to a 14-day period
- Some high-demand items will revert back to 7-days like the pressure washer and electric lawnmowers which will not be renewable to provide more access to as many members as possible during the busy spring and summer seasons.
- We will continue to handle all renewals, just respond to your loan reminder email.
- Most items will be able to be renewed for one additional week and will be dependent on future reservation requests.
- High-demand items like the pressure washer and electric lawn mowers are not eligible for renewal. Non-renewable items will have a red information bubble on the item details page.
- Tools will be held for at least 48 hours and sanitized before they can be borrowed again.
- In following our borrowing policy, members are responsible for general tool cleanup such as dirt, grass clippings, drywall mud, etc.
- We are temporarily not accepting large tool donations. The exception is we are in need of some specific high demand tools:
- Electric pressure washers
- Portable table saws
- Corded electric lawnmowers
- Corded electric edgers
- Corded electric jackhammers
- Corded electric combination hammer/rotary hammers
- Portable air compressors
- 16 &18 gauge air nailers
The Tacoma Tool Library continues to be a member-supported organization. Some memberships will need to be renewed prior to reserving tools this year. To assist with how the process works, we have a Member Resource page on our website. You will also find short step-by-step videos at the bottom of the page to help with:
- reserving tools
- joining for the first time
- renewing memberships, changing your membership support level, and updating contact information
While we miss having everyone in the shop to talk about tools and projects, tool lending has continued to remain strong through the pandemic. We will keep you informed of new procedures or adjustments along the way through our social media channels, newsletter, and website.
Thank you for your understanding and patience in these times. We look forward to seeing you again soon and helping with access to the tools needed to complete your projects. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with questions, and please take care of yourselves and one another.