January 2021 Update - Happy new year!
Thank you for supporting our Level Up winter fundraiser! Not only did we hit our original goal in the first week, we’ve already surpassed our dream goal of $5,000! Every dollar raised helps us put tools in the hands of those who need them. We are so grateful for your help and support!
TTL is now completely moved downtown and located on the second floor of the Main Branch of the Tacoma Public Library. We have been busy through December auditing the inventory in MyTurn, where you will see a more accurate accounting of what is active and in-stock, plus easier searching of items by name and item type.
We are ready to resume tool lending again! We will use the same reservation process that we launched last year — with home deliveries and pick-ups by TTL. Here is the new schedule:
- Virtual Open Hours on Zoom resume Wednesday, January 13 from 5-7 pm
- Virtual Open Hours will be office hours to chat in real-time to ask questions about membership and reserving tools. Look for the Zoom link to the Virtual Open Hours to be posted each Wednesday promptly at 5 p.m.
- If you would like help with tool reservations, or have questions about membership or projects, TTL Board, Staff, and Volunteers will be online to help. Don’t use Zoom? You can also call during this time to get help.
- Deliveries resume Friday, January 15
- Deliveries will be on Fridays and Saturdays with daily schedules determined by location and item requests.
- Requests must be made by Thursday at 5 pm to be included with that week’s Friday deliveries or 5 pm Friday for Saturday delivery. We will strive to fulfill everyone’s request each week, however, we are determining our capacity from our new location.
- Deliveries will be contactless but in following our liability agreement with members, the TTL member must be available on the designated day and time to receive tool loans. Members must also wear masks while accepting deliveries. If you would like to add a household member that is 18 or older to be able to accept tool deliveries, let us know.
- Returns are now on Tuesdays. Pick up routes will also be determined by location and item types.
- A friendly reminder of our regular borrowing policy, Members are expected to clean tools (removing mud or yard clippings) before they are returned. Returned tools will spend 72 hours in a “quarantine” period and be sanitized using CDC-approved solution before they will be loaned again by TTL. Thank you for helping TTL protect our community and staff from coronavirus.
- Loan reminders will be sent out a few days before the expected return pick up day if you need to renew.
In addition to the above schedule, here are some additional notes to help answer other recent Frequently Asked Questions:
- The TTL shop space will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- We are temporarily not accepting large tool donations. The exception is we are in need of some specific high demand tools:
- Electric pressure washers
- Portable table saws
- Corded electric jackhammers
- Corded electric combination hammer/rotary hammers
The Tacoma Tool Library continues to be a member-supported organization. Some memberships will need to be renewed prior to reserving tools this year. To assist with how the process works, we have a Member Resource page on our website. You will also find short step-by-step videos at the bottom of the page about:
- reserving tools
- joining for the first time
- renewing memberships, changing your membership support level, and updating contact information
While we miss having everyone in the shop to talk about tools and projects, tool lending has continued to remain strong through the pandemic. We will keep you informed of new procedures or adjustments along the way through our social media channels, newsletter, and website.
Thank you for your understanding and patience in these times. We look forward to seeing you again soon and helping with access to the tools needed to complete your projects. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with questions, and please take care of yourselves and one another.