Curbside Service Operations
Tool reservations continue and we have integrated the inventory system to our main website which will assist in viewing our help videos while accessing your account in the myTurn system. The new location and loading zone have also allowed us to expand our schedule for you to get tools and complete projects!
To help keep our curbside service running safely and on schedule make sure to read notes on email confirmations for your specific loan information and be on time for your parking space appointments.
This July you'll see a few more familiar faces as our Steering Committee Board members begin to come back to the shop for in-person support. We also have a few schedule updates to note:
- We will be operating with our regular Saturday schedule on Saturday, July 3 from 10am-1pm to help with tool loans over the holiday weekend.
- During the week of July 19, we will have a limited schedule and will be operating on Saturday, July 24 only that week. The schedule will be a longer day from 10am-2pm and parking appointments are highly recommended. The schedule changes are marked in our inventory system and the parking space appointment calendar.
- Also in July, our Virtual Open Hours will shift to a monthly schedule. Starting Wednesday, July 14, on the second Wednesday of the month, we will host our Zoom sessions from 5-7pm.
We continue to help members with tool reservations and membership questions on the phone also. Phone support starts one hour prior to curbside service each operating day Wednesday-Saturday.
Schedule and Procedures
- TTL Loading Zone Curbside Schedule
- Wednesdays 4-7pm
- Thursdays 4-6pm (Due to the TPL building schedule, we will not serve late arrivals after 5:50pm)
- Fridays 10am-1pm and 4-6pm (Due to the TPL building schedule, we will not serve late arrivals after 5:50pm)
- Saturdays 10am-1pm
- Virtual Open Hours on Zoom continue on Wednesdays, from 5-7pm
- Starting in July, our Virtual Open Hours will shift to a monthly schedule. Wednesday, July 14, on the second Wednesday of the month, we will host our Zoom sessions from 5-7pm.
- Look for the Zoom link to the Virtual Open Hours posted each Wednesday promptly at 5pm on our website.
- Virtual Open Hours are our office hours to chat in real-time to ask questions about membership and reserving tools. If you would like help with tool reservations or have questions about membership or projects, TTL Board, Staff, and Volunteers will be online to help. Don’t use Zoom? You can also call during this time to get help. Our phone support hours also start one hour prior to curbside service.
How does it work, what are the new procedures?
- Make a pick up appointment during our curbside hours at a time that works for you. You may also make your drop off appointment at this time.
- Login to your account and reserve tools starting on the date of your pick up appointment.
- Arrive at the loading zone spot during your appointment time and our staff and volunteers will help you load items into your vehicle
- We will send a loan reminder two days before the tools are due back with a link to make your drop off appointment.
In addition to the above schedule, here are some additional notes to help answer other recent Frequently Asked Questions about new operations from the Main Branch TPL location:
- The TTL shop space will remain closed to the public through fall 2022.
- Face masks - Our mask policy remains in effect. We continue to ask members to wear masks during tool pick ups and drop offs.
- Loan lengths - We understand schedules continue to be a bit unpredictable and we have extended our general tool loans to a 14-day period
- Some high-demand items, like the pressure washer and electric lawnmowers, are 7-day loans that are not renewable to provide more access to as many members as possible.
- Tools will be held for at least 48 hours before they can be borrowed again.
- In following our borrowing policy, members are responsible for general tool cleanup such as dirt, grass clippings, drywall mud, etc.
- Last-minute reservations and edits - If you are reserving tools within two hours of your desired pick up time and/or during curbside service hours, please call ahead for availability, we may need to reschedule your pick up appointment to accommodate the requests.
- Unclaimed tools - Reservations will be held each week until Saturday at 1:00 pm.
- If you do not pick up your tools, you will receive an email to let you know when the next available pick up time is
- Any unclaimed tool reservations will be canceled weekly at the end of service each Saturday at 1:00 pm. You will receive an email notification.
- Renewals - TTL will continue to handle all renewals, just respond to your loan reminder email.
- Most items will be able to be renewed for one, or two additional weeks and will be dependent on future reservation requests.
- High-demand items like the pressure washer and electric lawnmowers are not eligible for renewal. Non-renewable items will have a red information bubble on the item details page.
- Donations - We are temporarily not accepting large tool donations with the exception of some specific high-demand tools. For a complete list visit our donation page.
The Tacoma Tool Library continues to be a member-supported organization. Some memberships will need to be renewed prior to reserving tools this year. To assist with how the process works, we have a Member Resource page on our website. You will also find short step-by-step videos at the bottom of the page to help with:
- reserving tools
- joining for the first time
- renewing memberships, changing your membership support level, and updating contact information
While we miss having everyone in the shop to talk about tools and projects, tool lending has continued to remain strong through the pandemic. We will keep you informed of new procedures or adjustments along the way through our social media channels, newsletter, and website.
Thank you for your understanding and patience in these times. We look forward to seeing you again soon and helping with access to the tools needed to complete your projects. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with questions, and please take care of yourselves and one another.